Monday, February 13, 2012
The issue of finding issues!
Images: Protesting US style on the issue of peace outside of the White House, Washington.
Contact me at email@example.com
The address for the Socialsense blog
Course Calendar for your time management
Looking for an issue of interest
Today we discussed the nature of issues in society and the need to look at our views on issues and express our opinion about them. Many of you had difficulty thinking about an issue of importance to you. I thought the following websites dedicated to exploring and providing information on issues would be a useful exercise for you to look at and maybe see a topic/issue that you find of interest. You may even find an issue of interest that you could conduct research on later in the year when you are asked to undertake an issue investigation assignment(if not early in the year for the Research Project). Start thinking about it now!
Here are the sites to explore:
* Newspapers to explore for issues at http://www.theworldpress.com
* Find out the facts on a wide range of issues at http://www.encyclopedia.com
* Research issues at the Social Issue Research Centre at http://www.sirc.org
* Investigate a catalogue of issues at http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Issues
* Find out information for issue studies at http://www.ipl.org/div/subject
* Investigate a directory of issues at http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/issues_and_Causes
* Look at this Australian social action issue site at http://www.actnow.com.au
* Here is a site full of issue ideas http://spinneypress.com.au/
Spend some time over the next week looking at these sites, identifying issues and learning about them.